Is it truly Fall if we aren't breaking out the yummy apple recipes!?
Why are crispy, sugar coated oats + sweet, baked, golden brown apple slices so delicious? Well, many reasons I'm sure.. none of which I can reaaaallly explain. What I CAN explain is how to make it, vegan style! We know traditional apple crisp would be essentially vegan if it weren't for all the butter used to make the oat crumble (or crisp).. Today, we simply swap that out for vegan butter and coconut oil and voila! That's really it. Easy peasy!
Apple crisp tends to be particularly popular in the Fall time and especially around the holidays. It's great to bring to Thanksgiving or to serve during holiday festivities and get togethers - you can really never go wrong with it! Unless of course you burn it.. (I mean, not to worry, very unlikely!) My Mom made one mean apple crisp and today's recipe is definitely inspired by hers! It should take you about an hour and 45 start to finish; about 30mins prep time and apple peeling, an hour baking away in the oven and 15 to set!
DO make sure you have some vegan ice cream on hand because its never really complete without a scoop of that! My absolute FAVOURITE to pair with pies and crumbles is the So Delicious Non - Dairy Vanilla Bean. Such a classic, true vanilla flavour and pairs beautifully! The price is also a tad more appealing than many other non-dairy ice cream varieties which is a big plus.
Let's get to the recipe!!
Vegan Apple Crisp
Yields: One 9x12 Baking Dish/Pyrex
Total time: 1h45
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance) + 2 tbsp coconut oil
6 medium/large apples or 8 small apples (peeled and sliced)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp lemon juice + lemon wedge for prepping
1/3 cup brown sugar **Use 1/2 cup if you are using sour apples/Granny Smiths**
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease your baking dish.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine your rolled oats and flour! Next, melt your vegan butter, add it to the mixture and combine thoroughly. Set the topping aside.
3. Fill a large bowl halfway with water and squeeze in a wedge of lemon, throw the wedge in the water after you've squeezed it. Start peeling your apples and add the finished ones to this bowl as you peel to prevent browning!
4. Once your apples are all peeled, slice them and add them to another large bowl. Add the tbsp of lemon juice, the tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to the bowl and combine with a wooden spoon.
5. Once combined, spoon the mixture into your greased baking dish, distributing the apples thoroughly.
6. Now that the apples are in, add the topping, again, evenly distributing over top of the apples. Make sure to get the corners too!
7. Time to bake! Leave the crisp in the oven for an hour, until it is nice and golden.
8. Let cool for at least 20mins and serve!
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Until next post! xx
#veganrecipes #veganapplecrisp #veganapplecrumble #fallrecipes #holidayrecipes #veganbaking #vegandesserts #veganbakingrecipes #veganfallrecipes #applecrisp #veganblog #vancouvervegan #veganblogger #vegantreats #vegan #apple #dessert #baking