You can't have the holidays without gingerbread.. right? The smell filling you home, the delight of decorating with your friends & family-- Of course I had to write a post on this festive staple!
I am certainly a big fan of good gingerbread cookies! I also love a gingerbread loaf.. Maybe I'll work on a recipe for that too one of these days..
An important aspect of gingerbread I find is softness.. If its not a soft or chewy cookie.. Take it away!!!! Haha, this recipe will make you soft (and scrumptious) cookies that hold their shape and taste like pure Christmastime! Toss those store-bought gingerbread kits away- Before you break tooth! ..Can anyone tell me why we always wanted to eat those so badly anyways?
Alright.. Let's get into this recipe! It will take about an hour and a half to an hour forty-five start to finish! (Including icing and cooling time)
Soft Vegan Gingerbread
12-14 Gingerbread Men
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 3tbsp vegan becel
2 tbsp to almond milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 tsp vanilla
2tbsp almond milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees!
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the vegan butter, almond milk, molasses, applesauce. Mix with hand mixer or whisk.
3. Next, mix in the brown sugar!
4. In a separate large bowl, combine the spices; ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. As well as the baking soda, baking powder and flour.
5. Create somewhat of a funnel in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in your bowl of wet ingredients. Combine those using your mixer or whisk.
6. Once the mixture is crumbly looking, start combining with your hands (If mix seems too dry and crumbly, add a splash more almond milk!) then form the dough into a ball!
7. Prepare a baking sheet by greasing or lining with parchment!
8. Flour your surface or countertop as well as your rolling pin- and start rolling out the dough about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out your desired shapes and repeat the process until you're all out of dough!
9. Use a floured spatula to transfer cookies to your baking sheet- and bake them for about 9-11 minutes. Check them halfway to asses how they're doing!
10. Once they're finished baking, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let sit for at least 30 minutes before icing!
11. Decorate and enjoy!
1. In a medium bowl, combine almond milk, vegan butter and vanilla. Mix!
2. Next, dust in the icing sugar in increments while mixing. If the mix seems too thick for your liking, add additional almond milk and if it seems to thin, add more icing sugar.
3. Taste test! If all is well, transfer to a piping bag or icing tool and get decorating!
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Until next post! xx