Alright, it doesn't get much better than cinnamon buns. Delicious, sticky, ooey- gooey goodness awaits you! Cinnamon buns can be a challenge, especially when you're vegan and don't want to spend a hefty chunk of time trying to make them.. so I'm going to run you through my easy peasy cinnamon bun recipe today- as well as some simple vanilla icing!
Cinnamon buns are fairly difficult for most of us. You want them NOW, but have to wait what seems like ages to enjoy them? What's that about..
I know I generally don't have that kind of patience and THAT'S why I've put together this #recipe to kind of simplify the process and make it that much easier! This recipe should take you about an hour and fifteen minutes, and give you 12-18 buns depending on how thick you like them sliced.
The key to a good cinnamon roll is not only a puffy, thick dough full of cinnamon and sugar.. but a dense icing.. and a lot of it.
Let's get to it!
Yields: 12 - 18 cinnamon buns
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 packets or about 4 tsp quick rise yeast
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance) or equivalent oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp melted vegan butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup earth balance/vegan butter (not melted)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Warm up your cup of water until it feels about bath temperature. I usually heat mine in the kettle for a short amount of time. If its too hot, add a little bit of cold water to even it out. Transfer your cup of water into a large bowl and shake your two packets of quick rise yeast in. Make sure your yeast is fresh! Leave that to sit for about 7-10 minutes.
3. After that has sat add your 1/3 cup melted vegan butter, stir it in! Add your 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp cinnamon next. Use your hands to mix the ingredients into dough and keep adding additional flour until the dough doesn't stick to the bowl.
Knead the dough into a ball on the counter, make sure to lay some more flour down beforehand!
4. After forming the dough ball, put it aside for about 15 minutes. In the meantime you can work on your filling and icing!
5. For the filling, grab a small bowl and add your 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Mix it together well.
6. For your icing, grab another small bowl and add your 1 1/4 cup icing sugar, 1/4 cup earth balance and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Using your hand mixer or a whisk, combine everything until you're left with a creamy and fluffy icing. If your mix seems to dry or thick, add some almond or other non dairy milk to thin it out.
7. Now that your dough is all ready to go, re-flour your surface, flour your rolling pin and roll the dough into somewhat of a rectangle!
8. Now, this is where your melted vegan butter comes in! Pour your 3 tbsp onto the dough and spread it throughout until the surface is adequately covered. Once it is covered, evenly distribute your filling mix across the dough and press it in with your hands and/or rolling pin.
9. When your dough looks like this, roll it up! Whichever way you roll it is all up to you! I've rolled mine from the long end.
10. Grease a baking sheet or deeper pan and lay out those buns!
11. Now that they're all set, cover them and let them rise for about a half hour.
12. Once they look a little something like this, pop those bad boys into the oven! Bake them 12-15 mins and keep your eye on them!
13. Once cooked to your liking, remove from the oven, spread your icing and ENJOY!! #cinnamonbuns
Thanks for reading, hope you try these! Let me know how they turn out!