It's soup season!! Woohoo! SO many soups to be made.. and eaten!
One of my absolute favourites throughout the chilly months is a classic butternut squash! I love to play around with my favourite classic soup types and create new ones - adding new ingredients, spicing them up a little bit and introducing new flavours as I go!
This one was a lot of fun. I originally intended on making a bit of a squash medley but went for a little garden veggie medley with the squash and loved it! (P.S. You could definitely do this soup with acorn squash and it would be equally as delicious!)
I highly recommend this one for entertaining as it will make you about 8-10 cups worth - and it makes for a great holiday dish. The soup is: rich, creamy, packed with veggies and tastes like a warm bowl of Fall comfort! Serve it with some fresh bread, a sprig of rosemary and you are as golden as the perfect butternut squash.
Let’s SQUASH about this recipe, shall we?
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Yields: 8-10 cups
Overall time: 1h50mins
1/2 butternut squash
1 large carrot
2 stalk of celery
4-5 cloves garlic
5 cups water
1/4 cup tofutti dairy free sour cream (or other vegan sour cream/yogurt)
3/4 cup coconut milk(or other non dairy milk
1inch piece of fresh ginger
2 tbsp fresh rosemary plus 3-4 sprigs for garnish
1/2 - 3/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
coconut cream for drizzle/garnish (optional)
1. Add 6 cups of water to a pot and boil with salt and 1tsp of olive oil.
2. Next, Add the half onion, celery stalks, carrot and garlic to the pot. After five minutes, reduce heat to a low medium. Leave the pot on for 50 minutes.
3. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare your squash. Slice the squash in in half and remove the seeds (save them for roasting if you like making roasted seeds for a snack!) . Place half the Squash on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. After the 30 minutes is up, remove your squash from the oven.
5. Let the squash sit for about 5 minutes then cut the inside into chunks and add them to your pot for the remaining 20 minutes. Add the chunk of ginger as well.
6. After that time is up, poke your squash with a fork to ensure it is soft enough (if not, keep on for another 10-15), and then reduce the pot to minimum.
7. Now, add the tofutti, coconut milk, rosemary and spices to the pot.
8. Next, remove the pot from heat and In batches, transfer the soup to your blender. Grab another pot to put the blended soup in. If you have an immersion blender on the other hand, go ahead and blend the soup contents together using that!
9. Taste test! Now is the time to see if it needs any more seasoning, add more salt/pepper if you desire!
10. Garnish with fresh rosemary and coconut milk, and serve! **Extra delicious served with fresh bread!
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Until next post! xx
#veganrecipes #fallrecipes #butternutsquash #butternutsquashsoup #soup #recipe #vegansoup #veganblogger #canadianblogger #vegansouprecipe #butternutsquashsouprecipe #fallsoup #fallcooking #veganfood #holidayrecipes #soupideas #vegancookingideas